Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

God Bless My Publicist...

I said it from the beginning that this media infused territory was uncharted waters to me. Exactly the reason I sought out the 'PR Guru'. From the get go Gillian told me to that there is an unspoken dance between 'us' & 'them'. There is an etiquette that needs to be followed in order for many, not all of the media types but definitely many that we have to follow or else the energy will go stagnant due to lack of ego stroking. This is where a PR Goddess comes in handy. I am so not savvy enough to know when to stroke ones ego and when to muffle a laugh that would deem inappropriate. Anyone who really knows me, knows I speak my truth and I own it. What I have to say is not always well received but more often than not, it needs to be said and I am usually right on the money. I recently had a reporter ask me what my greatest strength is and what my weakness is... I instantly replied that my greatest is strength is that I speak my truth at all times. I am a straight shooter. I told her that my greatest weakness was that I speak my truth at all times. I am a straight shooter. It's true. A lot of people would rather be fed B.S. It is just easier to handle sometimes. These are also the people that have a tendency to ask you how you are only to cut you off so that they can talk about themselves, never waiting to even hear your reply. Anyway, only a week and a half into this and Gill has already proven herself to be a beacon that keeps me on track and is a constant source of light and support. I just wish everyone had their own Gillian. She rocks. Last week was the first photo shoot interview. It went quite well as I mentioned. The editor called Gillian back and said she wasn't pleased with the photographers pictures of the jewelry and wanted to send another photographer out for a re-shoot. When Gill gave the o.k., the reporter called me to set it up. She was going to be sending the new photographer solo and was hoping to do the shoot outside. The suggestion came that why don't we use Grouse Mountain. It's local, they have a great setting and so on. But wait, remember who we are dealing with here... it's me. It is my mission to bring my own beloveds along with me on this journey so of course I insisted we use the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It is the most magical, west coast beautiful, family owned and operated sanctuary that I know of and it just so happens that the family is actually personal friends of mine. I know I have mentioned this in a past blog, but the bridge is so exquisite I just cannot speak highly enough about it. I called the Cap Bridge got permission to bring cameras in and they were more than happy to host us. I met the cameraman there. He had half a dozen different cameras strapped to him and we were off. It is funny how different these two cameramen we had dealt with were. The first one was click click click, and he got his shot. This other one was 'an artist'. He framed the shot several times, moved the jewelry on a rock by the water because the pearls reminded him of water droplets... at one point I remember saying to myself ' dude... the picture is of the jewelry, not a wilderness spread'! LOL He was serious about his craft and I totally appreciate that. I was unable to see many of the hundreds... yes hundreds of different shots he took, but a couple of them really were beautiful. Unfortunately he asked me to be in a few of them which... ugh... I was not in hair & make up and I just felt 'ughs' that day. Awe well, that's how it goes. You need to put all vanity behind you and just be confident in the fact that it is the jewelry that is meant to be beautiful... and as humbly as I can say it... it was. The second photo shoot would not have happened if it hadn't been for my new friend ' Cookie'. I met her earlier this year at pick up and drop off. Somehow over the year she and I began to chat more and more. I don't know about anyone else, but in my world if I love yah, I love yah and it does not matter how long I have know you. This is the case with Cookie. The first time I heard her laugh, I loved her. She has that laugh that comes from deep within and it is authentic. 'Cookie' is one of those girls who is not caught up in superficial chit chat or trying to be one of the cool moms at pick up... you know the ones, all dressed up talking about where they get their nails done, what chic restaurant they dined at the night before, where they will be vacationing at over the next school break. Gag me. Anyway- Cookie is not one of them and that just made me love her more. The real seal on the deal was that my kids love her. Okay I am rambling, point is I love Cookie she is one of my new besties and she saved my ass the other day. I had 'The B. Man' at home with me the day I was called for the re shoot and no sooner did I think who can I ask to watch him for an hour or so, did the phone ring. It was 'Cookie' being her sweet self. I didn't even really acknowledge the sweet reason she was calling, rather, I cut her off and asked her if she could help out with my little guy. Of course she stepped up and was happy to do so. The only person more grateful than me was my 'The B. Man' he loves going to her house and hanging with her little ones. So thank 'Cookie' you are a keeper. Muah! Some of you have emailed when will this last interview air... it will be published in Saturday Jan 29th's Vancouver Sun. You can see it all there. :)

1 comment: