Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Breathe...

I returned from the island with my heart filled and my mind rested. I have found a new seaside sanctuary that will surely be in heavy rotation of my favorite retreats. I came home after 2 days of loving my 'Ya-Ya's' but missing my babes and the 'Silver Fox'. You know you have a sweet life when are excited to go home. Monday was a day of preparation for Tuesday's initial onslaught of media and such. The day started at 5am. Shower, coffee, coffee, and coffee. Make up artist extraordinaire, Ariell P. arrived at 6:20am and by 6:21am I was in the chair getting an overhaul as this goddess worked her magic. By 9:20am I was at our showroom being interviewed and filmed by a team from the Vancouver Sun Media crew. I have no problem public speaking or having my photograph taken, but apparently a t.v. camera is an entirely different story. No sooner did I get the green light, I got dry mouth. I have never experienced that sensation. I couldn't get a word out. Good grief... what an amateur. I had to excuse my self to get a drink. If I had known how many different takes it was going to take them, I would have gone to bed earlier! We needed better light, better angles, better backdrop, better sequence, better, better and better. You know that feeling when you have smiled so much that your teeth and gums get dry... yah, that was me after the first twenty minutes. Let's just say I am not excited to see those photos... ah well, vanity is not an endearing quality anyway. The interview itself was fine. The reporter was lovely and seemed genuinely interested in my story. I had received great advice from a few of my peeps who are used to being interviewed or rather, interviewing people. My one friend 'The Writer' who has interviewed all sorts of people in her career, including Donald Trump, told me to pick three points and deliver them within your answers. Easily said, challenging to accomplish. My other friend ' The Rock Star' gave me tips to make for a better on camera experience. Ignore the camera, be myself, don't be over animated... All of these things were on my mind as I dove into my first on camera interview in a long time . The interview lasted just over an hour from start to finish. I was grateful for the experience but also grateful when it was over. This girl was rusty! No sooner was the interviewer gone, did my new employee 'V', show up. Yes, I have hired my first employee at Buddha & The Raven. I spent the next hour training 'V' on how to assemble a particular piece of jewelry for me. The 'control freak' in me had a difficult time making the decision to hire someone. To actually hand over the reigns to my creations was an exercise in trust and a way to venture into the land of vulnerability without being exactly vulnerable. It's hard to explain but it really feels like I am trusting someone else with something very dear to me which is extremely fragile. There a dozen metaphors I could relate it to, but whatever... I pulled up my big girl panties and just did it. LOL Now, let me be clear, the major assembly, the boring laborious part is what I have asked her to do,(I know, what a jerk I am) I have not instructed her on how to finish the finer details, I will do that. I will finish every piece that I am ever donating, mailing, giving and selling. If my name is on it, I need to do that for myself. I also will always design every piece personally, and I will just have to accept the support from her and whatever future staff that support me. A very wise business person recently said to me, " You need to work ON your business, while others work IN your business." It takes me back to the point I made a few blogs ago. I need to do what I am good at and allow others to do the same. So I gave 'V' a non-compete contract to sign, her materials and a time line and set her up and off on her way. No sooner did she leave did one of my favorite photographers arrive. I hired Carrie Marshall, www.carriemarshall.com - to come and and work her own magic and to photograph my head shots for me. I have needed them done for sometime now, but in light of the fact that my main press release is being sent out on Tuesday I was prompted to get 'er done. I briefly saw a few of the images Carrie captured yesterday. I was blown away how unlike me they appeared, but also how totally me and casual and candid they truly were. I know for certain that which ever photo I use will be usable thanks to Ariell & Carrie. After our photo shoot I took Carrie over to Thomas Haas' for a java and one of their amazing sandwiches. (and chocolate of course) I bid Carrie farewell from there and headed into the back where the chocolate is created. I found Thomas and his better half Lisa back there creating and coordinating Valentine's Day creations. All I can say is that my dear, dear friends have master minded an amazing array of offerings and I encourage you all to head over there to get some treats for your beloveds for February 14th. I will have a selection of my custom stationary there for your convenience. Grab you chocolate and a card in the perfect one stop shop . I returned back to 'The Mama' just in time to pick up my precious babes from school, which really is the highlight of my day. No matter what I do, or who am, being a Mama to these two beauties and a wife to the 'Silver Fox' is by far my favorite roles to date. Now I need to run off to another photo shoot at Capilano Suspension Bridge. My dear friend 'C' and her husband and his family own the bridge. They are so incredibly generous with all of their neighbours all year long that I was only elated to be able to use their location so that they may get a little press too. Like I said, the more I can share this spotlight, the more joy I find in the journey. I will tell you how it goes later. Love & Light, t.

No comments:

Post a Comment