Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

When One Door Closes, Two More Open...

For the past few months I have been actively preparing to co chair my children's school PAC (parent advisory committee). It is no small job, rather, enough hours per week to equate a part time job. I was not initially eager to take on the role; however, the current chair asked me to do the job and I felt that I had the time and the desire to support my children and their school.

To make a long story very short, there had been some untruths told, and one individual was found to be playing the games that rule the grade 9 hallways of any given high school. To know me is to know that I do not appreciate such games and I do not take lightly to anyone being less than forthright with me. I speak my truth at all costs and I appreciate those who do the same.

I have never been one to avoid healthy, respectful confrontation, as I see it as a direct way to eliminate  confusion and to achieve clarity when something isn't adding up. Some others however, feel that confrontation is only ever out of aggression, and this is just not the case. I do not understand those who believe this, and refuse to try to understand a mentality that does not support personal growth and living outside your comfort zone. No one likes any kind of confrontation, but I would rather grow than stagnate under potential falseness. I speak to confrontation, because I did confront the person who was not being upfront, and that person was forced to own their words. I personally see that as an opportunity at growth. Will the friendship ever be the same? No. Will I always be courteous and polite? Absolutely. You cannot control how others behave but you can control how you respond.

Needless to say, after a great deal of drama and after thought, I made the decision to take myself out of the running for co chair. I figured with great certainty that the current PAC needs to find someone with a greater tolerance for such behaviour. In the meantime, I will complete my current commitment of sitting on the PAC's Social/Fundraising Committee, and do my best to serve the students and the school just as I have this entire past year.

If I didn't say I was somewhat disappointed with the way it all played out, I would not be speaking the truth. I was disappointed because the idea of committing that kind of time to the school grew on me. The idea of having a part time job, mind you, unpaid, was also appealing. But I stood strong in my belief that everything happens for a reason, and as it should be and in the divine timing that it should.
That set of beliefs served me well and actually made me feel better about the situation. You just never know how or why things happen they way they do, but you have to trust that it is for your greater good.

When all of this was happening last week, I was feeling a slightly dimmer than normal, but I had perspective. Last week, on the high of finding out that my precious Sean is cancer free, I learned that a dear friend of mine, my age, and a mother of 4, one being a new born preemie, has just found out that the cancer she beat last year is back... perspective people, perspective.

So with this fresh perspective, I went into a meeting last week, where I was clinging to this perspective. Where I was challenged by the way the PAC things went down, I was at peace with the outcome. So, I  began to ask myself, how else could I make use of those 20 + hours per week that I was formerly devoted to giving to the PAC? In what way could I use my time to benefit people that I care about? What cause? What other community do I belong to that deserves my time, energy and love?

No sooner did the meeting I was in come to a close, did I find myself being offered 2 new possible jobs. One would be for pay and the other a volunteer position. Both would compliment each other, both would be helping people in my community and both would allow me to grow, give and live in gratitude
knowing that I was helping people in the way that I can, with what I have.

When one door closes, sometimes two more open. I really believe because I was being present, with perspective and with an open heart, I attracted these opportunities. I just spoke to my children's principal last Friday and I quoted to him a powerful quote that speaks to me, and it turned out he has had on his wall at home since he was 13 years old... " Luck is when opportunity meets preparation."
I love that quote and I believe it to be true. Maybe the earlier drama in the week helped to prepare me for this greater opportunity? I believe.

As these new opportunities unfold and become more clear as they morph into reality, I will share with you as I always do. In the meantime, I am ever grateful for the way life unfolds in it's mysterious ways with huge and sometimes painful lessons along the way. I am grateful for the things that originally do not appear as gifts but allow me the room to grow into the person I am. I have a great deal of growing to do and the lessons keep on coming, but I go forward with perspective and the willingness to fall down in order to stand back up with a better clarity.


love & light,

t.

No comments:

Post a Comment