Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Blessings & Depths of December

Here is the second article I had published this month. I hope that you enjoy it and that a piece of it finds a way to resonate with you:


When I hear of daylight savings, images of bright, crisp skylines are evoked with a promise of light and uplifting mornings. Then, without any pomp or circumstance, I soon realize that the darkness of the season has descended upon us and no amount of daylight savings time will save me from the darkness that blankets us during the fall and winter.

Because we depend on mother nature's natural light to keep us moving and motivated, it is no wonder that so many people fear the depths of December. Many of us already have a deep seeded regret of having to wake up in the dark and having to come home from work in the dark. In the past we have grown to expect the days to be long and short in all of the wrong ways.

What I have learned however, is that the darkness also brings blessings of its own. Where December can be quite a busy month, filled with places to go, people to see, things to buy, it also brings with it and invitation to reinvest in ourselves. I know for myself, that with each early sunset that is bestowed upon us in the autumn, I am more inclined to cocoon myself in my home and to nurture the pieces of me that are easily stretched too far and thin at this time of year.

It is as if, I focus inward and hit the 'rejuvenate' button, and I simply let the darkness of the season envelope me. I take it on as a warm hug that is allowing me to slow down, and to reenergize myself when I am not out in the world being something to someone else. I accept the depths of December to mean, that at I am allowing myself to dig deep and to being open to receive the gifts of rejuvenation prior to welcoming a new year. By preparing for the new year, and being emotionally, physically and spiritually balanced when it arrives, I am announcing to the universe that I am open and ready for all of the goodness it has coming my way.


If we do not take care of ourselves during this time of darkness, the time before the light returns, we will not be readily available to welcome all of the blessings that await us. Instead, we could still be trying to navigate our way out of a blinding sea of darkness. Perspective is a gift unto itself. If we can reframe what the darkness of autumn means to us, we can set ourselves up for a much healthier season. We set ourselves up to be successful during a time when so many of us feel like we are unable to keep up with the hectic pace that often accompanies this season.


My wish for you is to reclaim the depths of December and release what you thought you know about it.

Rejuvenate. Redefine. Reframe.Reclaim. Release.

Happy Reframing!


love & light,

t. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment