Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

September's Promise

Looking back on what was a fantastic summer filled with friends and family, I deeply appreciate the many memories of connection and exploring. I cherish the time spent with my own children. The Silver Fox and I made a conscience decision to not put our children into summer camps this year, rather, we chose to make the most of each week by spending each day with them. We chose to do this because last summer we didn't have the same opportunity and we missed them. This year the choice was made with the fact that the youngest begins Kindergarten this year and our time together with him will be radically less. I totally support those who choose to summer camp their kids, and I will likely be among then next year, but this year was exactly what we had hoped for and made for the perfect summer for our family.

September is looming and with her she brings the promise of routine and renewed commitment to schedules and bedtimes. Soon the days will not be of my own whim, rather, I will be chained to a bell schedule that demands where my children need to be for 6 hours a day. No longer will I be the one to decide how are days are spent. This is when I have a hard time sharing... when it comes to my kids, I like to have them to myself.

I am not blind to the fact that I am also gaining a gateway into time for myself. What that means for me should be a blissful prospect, but I also acknowledge with it comes a huge responsibility. All of a sudden I am no longer a stay at home mom of 2 small children that are at home with me, it no longer applies. For sure I have my own business, but again, that is home based. I am now a free agent so to speak. I join the ranks of the veteran moms who have both children in school.

What I can say with certainty is that my time will be spent a little selfishly at first. I am going to reclaim my old gym schedule. Oh how we have missed each other. It has been far too long since I have been able to spend that kind of time on myself. I am going to finish the baby books I started for my children, or the one I meant to start for my son. Oops! I am going to connect with the friends I have lovingly ignored while raising my kids into Kindergarten. One of the most exciting prospects is that I will be able to have a  chunk of time in the day where I am not constantly looking at my watch and wondering which Pre-school I need to be at Stat! 3pm is soon to become my new best friend.

The past 8 years since my first child was born has felt like a long time, and as my second child enters to the school system I feel like I am observing a milestone and that I have earned some sort of badge. I really feel like I am about to graduate from this massive chapter in my life. I have been told by a few people that I should go for a massage the first week the kids go back to school in honour of the celebration, but what I really feel like I should be doing is getting on my knees and saying a deeply felt prayer of gratitude to the universe. We made it! All the way to Kindergarten and grade 3 with no major injuries. No major dramas. Always lots of food on the table, the roof over our head and so far no direct need that my kids should be in therapy! Whoo hoo! Success! ;) In all seriousness, I do feel totally grateful for the health and well being of my children and that so far their lives have been the kind that the Silver Fox and I have wished for them. Not a day goes by that I am not grateful for our abundance of love and light.

It is hard to believe that Christmas is merely 4 months away. You know what that means...ski season, people!
Just had to throw that in there. It is after all my fav time of the year. It will also mark the end of a remarkable year. September feels like the beginning of a new year also. The newness and refreshing of all that we have let slide for 2 months. I can't wait. Happy September. Happy New Year.

Love & Light,

t.

ps- please keep the prayers coming for Sean. we still really need them. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment